After decorating the bedroom with a handful of photos I’ve taken and a watercolor painting I did, the idea was tossed around to make a large print of another photo to hang above the bed. Instead I decided it would be an even better idea to make a headboard.
I’m psyched with how it turned out!
It was definitely the most costly project I’ve ever tackled, but knowing that some look-alikes at the store cost almost $700, I don’t feel as upset about spending around $150 on supplies.
We measured a couple inches extra on both sides of the bed, and bought a piece of 48″x80″ plywood. This is when I realized how large of a bed this headboard was actually going behind. After drawing up a plan for how far apart to place the buttons, I did a really ugly job of measuring and drawing lines with a red sharpie (Good thing I got to cover this up so there won’t ever be a trace of it on the board itself!). I drilled holes through the points where the buttons would eventually go.
Despite looking through many stores, we never found 2″ foam. Instead I played foam tetris in two layers. I used spray adhesive to attach the layers together as well as attach them to the plywood itself. In retrospect, I’m not sure that this was necessary.
The next step was to attach upholstery batting. I spread it out on the floor and then flipped the board (foam side down) on top. A million bangs of the staple gun later, it was attached.
We purchased a sheet set instead of fabric for the board. Part of this is because it was guaranteed to be large enough, and partially it was so that we had a lot of extra in case things went awry. After trimming the flat sheet to size, it was attached to the board in the same way the batting had been. This would have been a good time for me to grab a partner in crime. My placement was so far from centered, you’d think I had my eyes closed!
Using some of the left over material, I created buttons with a button cover kit. This was much easier than I anticipated, which was a nice surprise.
These buttons were attached to the board by using the holes that had been drilled and an upholstery needle to get through the 2+ inches of headboard. On the back side, I used lots of staples to secure the embroidery thread and hammered all of the staples to make sure they weren’t going anywhere. I forgot to take a picture of this part! But it’s pretty unattractive (a common theme with this project).
Here’s what the headboard looked like before it was attached to 2x4s and slid behind the bed:
I’m sure I could have accomplished all of this in a day, but it was spread out over the course of a week because I wasn’t that determined to get it finished immediately. I definitely plan to do this for other beds in the future; it was a very easy way to customize what’s there. The extra plus to using a sheet set is that we could use the pillowcases to tie everything together.